Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Oatmeal

Oatmeal has been with us for a long time.

When my son was about 2, he'd wake up in the morning and stand in his crib calling over and over "oat-oat da-da." 

It was the first breakfast I taught him to make by himself.  Thirty seconds at a time in the microwave.

One morning when I'd slept in until nearly seven (!) I heard the microwave going.  And going.  I dragged myself out of bed.   In the kitchen, the table was set with a random assortment of bowls, plastic spoons, some with animal faces, and oatmeal.

"I made breakfast for everyone!" 

This time of year, it seems natural to switch from granola back to oatmeal.

I often make it with milk, not water, but I was running low on milk the other morning so we did half milk, half water.  The difference was pretty interesting.  The oatmeal was creamy, but not as rich as before.  More surprisingly, the flavor of the oats was much more pronounced.  I gather that the milk has been overwhelming the oats until now. 

We like ours with brown sugar, rasins optional.


It's a pretty simple thing for kids to make too:

Classic oatmeal, two large portions, three small portions.

Bring to a boil: 1 cup water + 3/4 cup milk
Add 1 cup old-fashioned oats (not quick oats!)
and a pinch of salt.

Turn down the heat and cook at medium-low for 5 minutes, stir frequently.

Serve with rasins, brown sugar, salt, milk, chopped nuts, cinnamon, maple syrup or whatever else strikes your fancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment