Saturday, January 15, 2011

Snow Days and Oatmeal

Snow days.  If you grew up in the midwest, or anywhere with snow for that matter, those two words have the power to evoke a smile, don't they?  Frosty days, piles of snow, tons of wet clothing, frozen extremities and the bliss of unexpected freedom, no matter the chilly cost.

Ahhhh.

That's how my kids were feeling this week, with an early dismissal and two snow days.  I, on the other hand, was frazzled.

It's different here, where a skim of snow is the norm and the "wintery mix" that accompanies it results in slippery roads, cancelled school but work goes on.

I came home the first afternoon to two very happy children enjoying a snack.

"It's my famous oatmeal!"  my son proudly declared.

"Let me guess - there's pepper in it!?"

"Yup.  And apples and bananas.  No raisins becuase she doesn't like them and crasins are optional.  Except you ran out."


"Is it good?"  I asked my daughter, who never hesitates to provide an honest opinion.

"Yes."



My son chattered on, "They said they're going to cancel school tomorrow too!  Can I make lunch?"

Well, well.  How could I say no?

I came home the next day, just after lunch and looked in the kitchen sink. Orange and purple swirls were floating in the bowls, it didn't look like food, exactly. I wish I'd taken a picture. Instead, my sanitary-self went into immediate hyper-drive and I started doing dishes.


"What exactly did you make for lunch?"

"Macaroni and cheese with tomatoes and jelly." No big deal, mom.

"It was good," my daughter volunteered.  "Want to try my hot chocolate?" She walked into the kitchen and offered me a spoonful from her santa mug. I sipped. It was chocolate, with something else...

"Hum. What did you put in there? Pepper?"

"Yes. And the juice from two cherry tomatoes."

Right. That was the something else.

Whoever said education stops when they cancel school?

Snow days. Gotta love 'em.

Kiddo's Famous Oatmeal
(serves two)

Prepare two packets of instant oatmeal according to the directions.
Peel and chop one apple.
Slice one banana.
Add half of each fruit to each bowl.
Rasins and dried cranberries are optional.
Add ground pepper to taste.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment