Sunday, May 2, 2010

Yog-wich

We had a light lunch today - ham and cheese sandwiches and a dish of yogurt with strawberry-rhubarb compote and fresh strawberries.

I looked up from my sandwich to see this:


Yes, she was slathering her sandwich with the yogurt, fruit mixed in.  My first reaction was easy enough to imagine, "did you just put yogurt on your sandwich???"  I was tired and was already getting upset over the wasted food and mess and someone was going to have to make a new sandwich and so forth....

"It's really good!"  she smiled.  And ate it.

"It is," my son nodded in agreement and slathered some on his sandwich.

Shoving aside all those adult understandings of what can't possibly be good, I did something that didn't come easily.  I tried it. A little bit.  With my nose kind of pinched up the way theirs is when I say they have to try one bit of whatever that disgusting thing is they're avoiding on their plate.

You know what?  It actually was good. 

I was then treated to a recitation of the many things that are good dipped in yogurt:  carrots!  apples!  bread!  rasins!  and as they were describing all the things that the school cafeteria teaches them, I was thinking....there's a long tradition of eating yogurt as a sauce, filler, and seasoning. 

I love Lebanese food, Greek food, soups thickened with yogurt, ranch-like dipping sauces.  And if all that is good, why can't turkey and cheese pair up with yogurt and tart fruits (cranberry jelly, remember that stuff!?)  for a novel sandwich?  I can imagine a chicken salad with this too. 

I'm always curious about how people find that new idea or novel combination that  turns out to be delish - here's to keeping an open mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment