Thursday, July 8, 2010

Musings on White Dishes and Dinner Time


We've been getting a lot of use out of our white dishes lately.  My mother sent an assortment with some of the ramkins, oval platters, a casserole and a tart pan I remember from her kitchen.  I love their clean white shapes all piled up in the open cupboard and the way they dress up some of our simple meals. 

For a while, we were lighting candles at dinner most evenings too, but with the longer days it hasn't seemed necessary.

A few small things like that help make dinner more of an event, even when it only lasts for a portion of the time it took to make the food!  One thing I've come to discover about preparing the meal together is that it's easier to eat, talk and move on with the evening.  When I used to do it all myself, I felt like we needed to sit at the table for enough time to make the cooking "worth it."  Now, the cooking is always worth it.

I wonder how long the average dinner lasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment