Thursday, November 4, 2010

Falafel Chicken

Today was an uninspiring kind of day.  Rainy and busy, I pulled out of the office parking lot late, two kids at home and a pitifully empty refrigerator.  So I did what any normal person does when faced with a dinner emergency.  I called one of my sisters.

"What's for dinner?"

"Your house or mine?" (we live several states apart)

"Mine.  There's nothing in the pantry, and I've got about 20 minutes to shop, go!"
She thought for a moment then spoke these magical words: "Falafel Chicken!"

I took a few mental notes, dashed between the drizzles to pick up milk, chicken thighs and falafel mix and headed home.

My son tossed together some butternut squash chunks (worth buying pre-chunked!) while my daughter measured out and mixed up tabouleh salad.

I dipped the chicken thighs in egg, turned them over in the falafel mix and put them in a non-stick pan with some hot olive oil.  About 5 or 6 minutes per side and they were done.



The chicken stayed very moist but the crust was flavorful and crunchy.  We had a little cranberry sauce on the side and it provided a nice tart, bright note to the dinner.

Falafel chicken is something I never would have thought of, but it just skyrocketed to the top of my easy-weeknight-dinner list!  Thanks Krissy!

Now if only we were close enough to share the dishes....

2 comments:

  1. Sounds great! What did you do with the butternut chunks? cook them in the same pan for the same amount of time? Surely, that wasn't enough time to get them the way you show them. Pre-boiled, perhaps?

    Recipes that give you almost all directions, but not quite, are unfair. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hum, maybe we need a butternut post! They were pre-chunked from the grocery store - we drizzled them with olive oil (about 2 TB) sprinkled with salt and pepper and put them on a baking sheet in a 400-degree oven while the chicken cooked. About 12 minutes is enough. I line the baking sheet with tinfoil and spray with Pam to prevent sticking.

    Does that help?

    ReplyDelete