Monday, December 6, 2010

Blackened Catfish


I remember sitting with my grandmother in a seafood restaurant when I was about 18 years old, debating the merits of catfish.  She loved catfish.  I didn't. 

"Fried.  Or blackened."  She declared.  As if that was all we needed to know in order to bring the conversation to a close.

"But it's so ... fishy!"  I remember countering.  I liked fish, shellfish, and lake fish, but catfish always left me feeling like it came from the bottom of the lake. 

Perhaps it was all the times my sisters and I teased the catfish in the lakes across the street, tapping the top of the waters, bringing their gaping maws to the surface, like some sort of home-made horror movie.  Low budget. 

Catfish?  No thanks.

Recently however, I came to the conclusion that time has turned the tables.  If you buy catfish these days at the grocery store, it lacks that distinctive flavor that my grandmother so enjoyed and I didn't.  I think it's because of the farming that has made catfish plentiful and rather mild in flavor.

We made blackened catfish the other night and it was simple to prepare.  Cast iron pan, heated hot and lightly coated with some olive oil.  Fish filets rubbed with a cajun seasoning.  Three minutes per side.   Couldn't be simpler.



Served it up with some sauted green beans and rice.  Simple, flavorful.

So, grandma, we're enjoying the catfish.  Blackened.  But I have to confess that for a moment last night I missed that muddy bottom-of-the-lake flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment