Thursday, December 2, 2010

Pie Weight Stand-In

We were making our pie crusts for Thanksgiving and I was thinking about how long I'd waited to get pie weights.  I'd either skipped (with bubbled crusts as a result) or used beans in a pinch (with acceptable, but wasteful feeling results).  I finally got a set of pie weights a few years ago and have been very grateful - they work just like they're supposed to and they're always sitting in the cupboard where they belong.

What I didn't do was get two sets.

So, when it was time to bake two empty crusts, I was in a bind.  Except, a bright kid saved me.  I'd borrowed his bag of marbles to put in the flower vase and when he brought them down I said I planned to use them for flowers.

"Oh, I thought you were going to use them in the crusts."

So I did.


A colleague of mine mentioned the other day how her kids push her to remember to be creative.  Add this example to the list!

They worked just as well as the pie weights, so if you've got a jar of out-grown marbles, I recommend moving them down to the kitchen cupboard in a jiffy.

No comments:

Post a Comment