Sunday, March 14, 2010

Awesome Salads!


My son took a bite of Friday’s simple salad (baby spinach and ranch dressing) and declared, “I like *awesome* salads!”

Clearly, his mother’s salad was not awesome.

“What makes a salad awesome?” I asked.

“Lots of stuff!” and he began to list the things that had been in our friend’s salad last weekend. It would have been a shame to let this enthusiasm go to waste...

On Sunday, I stir-fried some chicken in a pan (note to self: get a grill some day) and turned him loose.

The salads were indeed awesome. Chicken, lettuce, shredded carrots, some leftover corn kernels and mozzarella cheese sprinkled on top (a cheese choice my daughter enthusiastically supported).

While we ate, we talked about which foods take the longest to make, but are the shortest to eat and vice versa. Store-bought cookies earned the award for shortest prep – grilled ribs were declared worth the work.

Next time I want them to eat more salad, I’ll have to remember “awesome”.

No comments:

Post a Comment