Friday, March 19, 2010

Oatmeal

Thursday was a late-start for the elementary schools around here. I woke up to the sound of the microwave going. Oatmeal.

Since they were old enough to eat cereals, oatmeal had been the breakfast of choice for both kids. I got frustrated with the expense and sugar of the instant packets of oatmeal and we devised an “instant” oatmeal mix to keep on hand – quick oats, powdered milk, brown sugar, spices and raisins. They know to cover it with milk and how long to microwave it. It was our first foray into kid-cooking.

I still tend to do a half-awake countdown when I hear the microwave start (has it been more than one minute? Is the oatmeal about to explode?) but I love that they’re learning to feed themselves.

Not yet fully awake Thursday, I remembered the morning my son woke me up announcing he’d made breakfast for everyone. There was a bowl of oatmeal and a plastic spoon at each seat.

“I didn’t know how to make the coffee,” he said seriously.

One of the best breakfasts yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment