Thursday, March 18, 2010

To knead or not to knead...


I was flipping through a magazine, waiting for my daughter to finish her gymnastics class, and came across the obligatory “no-knead bread” recipe. The rolls looked good, wrapped around some grated parmesan and herbs, and I’ll probably try them. But for the first time I stopped to wonder – why do we assume kneading is undesirable?

I see the appeal, and I don’t really harbor any delusions about baking the family bread each day, but we tend to take for granted that the thirty-minute-dinner, the one-pot-supper and the no-knead-bread are improvements. Speedy, efficient and fast, the underlying notion is to get the meal on the table and get out of the kitchen.

Realistically, there are a lot of nights when I need to make dinner in a jiffy, like tonight. Between work, homework, sports activities and the various other obligations that come with life, dinner is almost never more than a half-hour production during the week. I rely on the basic combinations of veggies, protein, starch and fruit, and the occasional pizza.

Those short dinners are creative (sometimes!), a chance for everyone to pitch in, and satisfying because we do sit down together. It’s on those same evenings when I might throw together the no-knead bread after the dishes are washed. It’s a chance to settle into cooking without the pressing need to feed everyone. It’s a chance to talk, catch up on our day, and to send everyone off to bed with the feeling (and smell) of coziness.

But I would never give up the kneading of dough. We’ve adapted a few recipes to fit our schedule - the Saturday dinner rolls are a family favorite. We put them together when it suits our schedule - in the morning, middle of the day, or a few hours before dinner. They smell good rising, and kneading them is a delight. I love to smell the dough when we knead it; my daughter is so careful about making the balls just so – she has a tender concentration I adore.

Maybe because we don’t make them every weekend, all the time, we savor them more. And sometimes time is short. That’s when we’ll make no-knead and leave it to rise in the refrigerator overnight. I’ll still keep an eye out for the recipes where kneading is required though, because sometimes that’s what we need.

No comments:

Post a Comment