Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Operation Lunch

Do you have a good idea for lunches?

I feel we've fallen into a rut when it comes to school lunches for lunches.  Although nobody has complained yet, I feel the end-of-the-year blahs setting in.  Ham and cheese for one, PB&J for the other.  Assorted snacks, fruits, crackers and off they go.

I have visions of baking a batch of wholesome, full-grain (yet delicious!) bars on the weekend - or coming up with some more inventive components, but I just haven't put much imagination into this meal lately. 

They eat pretty early in the day, so I don't mind including a yogurt or string cheese, even though there's no refrigeration, but I feel like we need some less-packaged, more interesting ideas.

Any thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. I just spring-cleaned the refrigerator and found some dates that we bought last fall at the Oasis Date Farm in California. My, they do keep well. But it was time for something to happen. I used a Date-nut cookie (bar) recipe from my 1971 Joy of Cooking. Pretty good. Easy. Just smash the dough onto a baking pan. They might last 'til Saturday...we are volunteering for a spring clean up at the Haenle Bird Sacutary and I was going to bring along some chocolate chip cookies as a reward. But then the dates got re-dicovered. Anyway, they may be gone in 2 days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may have to see if my version of joy of cooking has date nut cookie bars....

    ReplyDelete