Saturday, February 12, 2011

Almond-Orange Tart - French Fridays with Dorie

This tart's unusual combination of orange segments and almond cream filling was delicious.  It helped that we had the tart last weekend, so we could anticipate some of the steps that required time (letting the orange segments dry on paper towels in the fridge, for instance) but it wasn't an overly complicated dessert and well worth the effort.  

The crust was a traditional pate sucre, made in the food processor and chilled, and the almond cream was also processed and chilled.  The only minor trouble we had was finding almond flour - it wasn't available at either of the grocery stores we went to this week, so we made our own by grinding whole almonds until they were flour-like.  I suspect our filling had more texture than intended, but it was wonderful.


Once everything had been chilled and assembled, the tart took about 40 minutes to bake.  It was heavenly.  The almond filling browned and developed a slight crunch between the orange segments, which remained meaty and flavorful.  A dash of powdered sugar was all it needed.


We're already planning some variations on this one - cherries or apricots, anyone?

Recipe can be found in "Around my French Table" by Dorie Greenspan.  See also: French Fridays with Dorie

5 comments:

  1. Looks great. We loved this at our house too, in fact some said its the best french friday recipe so far! I also made my own almond flour and after reading about $12 bags of almond flour congratulated myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your tart looks wonderful. We loved it in our home(s) as well and Nana and I have vowed to make many more renditions of this winner. It was a happy Friday around here this week :0

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this one too. I can't wait to make it again with some other fruit variation. I have some sour cherries in the freezer. I'm wondering how those would work for my annual Washington's Birthday cherry tart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sour cherries sound amazing! At $12 a bag, grinding your own just makes all the more sense! I read that a few people didn't like the crust as much (too sweet) but I thought this was one of the best pate sucre crusts I've made - very cookie-like and not at all tough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a great dessert, in my opinion and I agree that it would be lovely to try out with various fruits!

    ReplyDelete