Friday, February 4, 2011

Basque Potato Tortilla - French Fridays

This evening was our first foray into French Fridays with Dorie and it was a gastronomic success, but it took some getting there!

I managed to get home a little early this evening so we could make this recipe from Around My French Table - it was really tasty, but even with the extra time, we ended up having a pretty late dinner; it probably took about an hour to get the Tortilla and some veggies on the table.  We were making two new recipes, so that adds some time, flipping back and forth between pages, trying to keep track, but I think the main culprit this evening was the potato. 

The recipe calls for 1/2-1 inch chunks of potato, cooked in the cast-iron skillet for about 20 minutes.  It took closer to 40 minutes for ours to be cooked through.  I think I'll try this again, with the cheater's step of microwaving the potatos (tossed in olive oil) first, just long enough to get them started.  I don't know if that'll make them stick to the pan, but since you have to wipe the pan clean before you put the egg mixture back in, it seems to me that you could cook the potatoes in a non-stick pan first, then heat the cast-iron skillet for the final oven-browning.

As you can see, it was a beautiful dinner, but since it was a Friday, we had the luxury of not rushing dinner.  This is just our first shot at one of the recipes in the book, and it was so good we'll work our way through the others, for sure! 


My daughter really enjoyed showing off her salting technique, while the potatos were cooking, so it was time well-spent, nonetheless.


I can't post the recipe here (part of the rules - besides, you should buy the book - it's beautiful!) but it's essentially a fritatta with cooked potatos, rosemary, garlic and onions.  Probably good left over too - not that we'll know....

4 comments:

  1. I love that you have your daughter helping you in the kitchen! I don't think it would be a cheat to microwave your potatoes first, expecially on a busy weeknight. However, yours turned out great looking. It's making me hungry just looking at it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is good left over! My potatoes took a little longer to cook too but I also had the time so I wasn't too worried. A quick zap in the nuker is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My potatoes took twice as long too. So did my eggs. Maybe when I lowered the heat, I lowered too much. Who knows? I like your idea of partially cooking them in the micro first. In the end it was tasty. Yours looks delicious. Welcome to FFwD.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I had the same problem with lowering the heat too much - my stove can be a bit fussy at times!

    We're looking forward to the next FFwD - we've already tested a few non-February recipes too! Yum-MY!

    ReplyDelete