Monday, February 7, 2011

Ouch!

It all started so innocently.  A pile of potatoes, two peelers, some chatter.  Next thing I know, my daughter is squeezing her finger and holding back the tears.

"I hurt my finger and I..am..pressing..on it."

Of course, I had to look.  Lucky for us, she just nipped the corner and while it hurt, it wasn't anything some soap and water and neosporin couldn't handle.

But, oh my, I had one of those moments.  Why wasn't I watching?  What if it had been worse?  Thank goodness it was only a peeler...but still!  You know that voice, the Bad Parent voice that lurks in the back of our mind, second guessing and criticizing?  All for a little nick.

She didn't cry and the band-aid seemed to make everything feel better, but I peeled the rest of the potatoes myself while she sat on the stool and talked to me.  It's a tough world out there - for kids and parents alike.  Here's wishing you safe dinners and, if needed, a box of band-aids in near reach.

No comments:

Post a Comment