Sunday, April 25, 2010

Egg Toast



If you like having your toast and egg all right there, this is worth trying.  Plus, it's fun for the kids to make (mother's day is coming soon, right!?).  They cut the center out of the bread, warm some butter in the pan, put the bread in and crack an egg into the middle.  We usually flip them over to fry both sides, and put the centers in the toaster oven to crisp (perfect for dipping).  One thing we've found is that a curved frying pan doesn't work well - the egg creeps out under any not-so-flat edges!

This breakfast reminds me a bit of a dish my grandparents used to make for my sisters and me - we called it "stuffed eggs".  They would butter and cube bread, then crack a soft-boiled egg over it and stir with salt and pepper.  It's one of those simple, fulfilling memory-rich foods.  I've made a version of that for my kids when they were little, sometimes with a little breakfast sausage mixed in, but we seem to have settled on this newer version for our weekends.


It does not make crusts more palatable, however!





2 comments:

  1. One question...did you serve the stuffed eggs in a measuring cup? That is the proper serving dish :)
    I also like the egg toast dish you made, which has about a million names: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egg_in_the_basket.
    I cut circles instead of squares (although I like the squares and will try that next time) and put jam on the remainder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How could I forget the essential serving vessel!! Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete